Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Appreciate More...!



Before I start, let me admit.. I'm writing this with a lot of agony; it may not really sound like it, but that's the truth. It's sheer agony that tempted me to discuss this "Gesture"

Let's say.. Thank you is not appreciation, it's an expression of Gratitude. So if you're going to say that you express appreciation because you say thank you, I'm sorry! You're disqualified.. :)

Do this... Walk up to some one who really has made your life better (however big or small); could be your mom, father, niece, a good friend and appreciate them, which means, you will tell them about one trait or characteristic of their you really like, tell them why you like it and tell them how amazing it is (For E.g., Hey Mom, I've been noticing your patience with all of us and now after so many years, I realize it's so tough to be so patient and positive, I'm trying to learn this from you, it's amazing)

Now, close your eyes and see how you feel and look at the other person's face..? Feel it? Start from home because that's the most neglected area.. not many of us appreciate our mom's cooking until we start missing it. so, that's a place you could start from. There is also a lil drawback to this gesture, people will think you're flattering them because you need a favor, it's only a temporary thing; with time people will know it's genuine..

Gone are the days when people will feel obligated or will make you feel obligated when you express appreciation. There are have been days when people would think twice before saying something nice about someone but now. It's the time to turn around and express heartfelt appreciation to people who have touched our life in one way or the other.

Appreciation is an excellent win-win situation, the giver and the getter feel brilliant. I felt it after I wrote one of my previous blogs.. "My Inspirations.." (it's quite popular now!) I felt so nice when I published the blog and felt the best everytime someone updated a nice comment!

There were only a few brilliant people I had mentioned about.. but I haven't discussed about a lot of beautiful people, so many of them who have made life so beautiful and memorable.. So many people who have inspired me in so many different ways, I thank them everyday for making my life so cool and enjoyable..! So many marvellous people and I love them all.. :)

For God's sake remember.. "What goes around comes around", so appreciate more.. You'll only feel better if not BEST!

4 comments:

KS said...

"There is also a lil drawback to this gesture, people will think you're flattering them because you need a favor", I agree with you..... Anyways we are not doing this for others, I feel good whenever I Appreciate someone..., :)

Rachana said...

I was sitting in a soft skill class and dreaming.I suddenly heard "telling thank you to people for making a small difference in your life is something to be practiced in day to day life".Well,somehow it triggered me to start doing that and believe me it kinda gives a good feeling!!But praising/flattering someone shouldn't be very often,else they stop believing you!..but yes appreciating someone genuinely(well,it shouldn't be for very mundane reasons)gladdens the heart.

Life Worth Living said...

Ok am sorry but am little confused (whats new u wud think :-))!! But are we not confusing expression of gratitude and appreciation again ?? i agree that at some level they tend to be the same ... but the thoughts you started initially with and the thoughts you ended with leaves me confused.
anyways ... am sure you will clarify it and make me feel stupid for writing the above :-) ha ha.
and here goes my 2 cents... in my opinion too, expressing gratitude and appreciating gestures are extremly important. a small thing as looking into the persons eye and saying 'thank u' or 'appreciate it' with a smile expresses genuine feelings which can never be misunderstood for otherwise. and sometimes expressing it to ppl you don't even know brightens their day and yours as well. a simple thank you with a smile and eye contact with the guy handing over pamphlets/promotional materials outside malls, to the guy filling your glasses or cleaning plates at the restaurant, to the police guy who helps you cross the traffic etc etc...works beautifully and lightens humanity. Like it is rightly said "When a person doesn't have gratitude, something is missing in his or her humanity. A person can almost be defined by his or her attitude toward gratitude."

Becky said...

I'm glad you wrote this article. For some reason, I don't know if it's cultural or just the Indian mentality-I notice that we are so quick to criticize and complain, but it takes all our strength, energy, and serious contemplation to say a nice word. Also, I think we have a harder time being nice/appreciating people we love the most-our family.On that note, not that we are family, I appreciate you putting this article up. I hope it gets people to think and show genuine appreciation!